Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sugar is everywhere.

Sugar is everywhere.




Everywhere.

I mean, hot dang. Yesterday afternoon, for example, I stopped by Barnes and Noble to browse. Before I even got to the books, I got a whif of what I do believe were freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. The still-hot kind, with the melty chocolate chips, that are really actually too hot to eat, but you eat them anyway because really, who could resist.

But I resisted.

And when I got home last night, I opened the fridge for no good reason, which is where I found rice freakin' pudding. I love rice pudding. Oh, you don't even know.



This morning, I woke up at 6:40 to be at church by 7:30 so I could sell donuts. But that's actually ok, because I don't really like donuts.

But this afternoon, I had a late lunch at Red Lobster to celebrate my grandpa's 77th birthday. My parents shared a Warm Apple Crumble A La Mode. And they shared it while I sat between them. It's not because they are cruel, but because it just so happened that's the way we landed in the booth. But, friends, it was mildly similar to torture.

My mom to the left, my dad to the right. My temptation in the middle. It even smelled like sugar. But I stayed strong, since I'm entirely serious here about having a sugar free year. In effort to assist my efforts to not accidentally take a bite of the apple crumble in some sort of sugarless stupor, I asked our server whether Red Lobster has fruit.

They do! Of course it's the fruit that they use to garnish big, colorful and frozen alcoholic beverages, but the bartender was happy to hand a few strawberries, orange slices and pinapple triangles off to the girl in the corner booth who is spending 2010 forsaking her sweet tooth.

So I am all right, three days in. Only 362 to go.

3 comments:

  1. Good job girl!! You can do it. Way to resist!

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christina! I'm hoping after a couple of weeks that'll undoubtedly be chock full of cravings, my body will realize it can, in fact, be fine without sugary treats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you. Keep it up! I'm still in disbelief you didn't grab even a crumb off of that pie...

    ReplyDelete